Dr. Shawn Hanway is Tallahassee’s only female, board-certified pediatric dentist. She opened her practice, Tallahassee Pediatric Dentistry in 2016 to provide dental health care for children of all ages. She decided pediatric dentistry was her specialty after a mission trip to Guatemala in dental school. She enjoys the challenges of children who come into the office nervous or scared but then leave with a smile on their face. Her goal is to protect their experience of visiting the dentist, which is why she works closely with an in-office pediatric anesthesiologist for providing safe dental treatment to her very young and special needs patients.
Education and Continuing Education:
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, Florida State University
- Doctorate of Dental Medicine, University of Florida
- Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry, University of Florida
- Diplomat of American Board of Pediatric Dentistry
- AAPD Graduate Student Research Award May 2016
- Received Award For Excellence in Research April 2016
- Clara Turner Craniofacial Anomalies Award March 2016
- Recipient of Bertram V. Dannheiser Jr. DDS Scholarship Award 2011
Dr. Shawn’s favorite part of her training would include being a part of UF Shand’s Craniofacial team and learning how to treat babies born with cleft lip/palate by providing taping and NAM fabrication to newborns. She also enjoys working closely with lactation specialists and speech pathologists in our area to provide tongue/lip tie releases with in-office laser. She was raised in Tallahassee and is delighted to have the opportunity to serve the needs of children in her hometown.
Dr. Shawn loves to fish, yoga, and spend time with her husband, daughter & puppy “Willow” at the beach.